ASUS ROG G501 is one of the sleekest gaming notebooks and comes under the mid-range gaming notebook segment. This Gaming notebook is a 15.6-inch machine that is made up of aluminium body. It powers a 6th Generation i7 processor and supported by the powerful GTX 960M processor.
Today we are going to do a full review on the ROG G501VW.
- Slim and Light
- Supports 1080p gaming
- 4K display
- Record-breaking hard drive performance
- Decent battery life
- Game performance could be better
- Only 512 GB of Hard drive space
This machine has almost all the ports that you required for gaming and day to day usage.
- Has all the ports a gamer would generally need.
- HDMI port, a USB 3.0 port, a USB Type C port.
- Power jack on the left.
- On the right, there are two USB 3.0 ports, one SD card reader and a microphone/headphone jack combo.
- Doesn’t have an Ethernet port, but Asus ships an Ethernet connector, if you need one.
Design And Build :
This notebook is properly built, for those who like to carry their gaming machine on-the-go. This Gaming notebook is sleek & light that helps your Gaming Notebook mobile. The black finish given to this notebook is attractive. To be frank, it’s just simple and powerful.
- The laptop is quite nicely built with an all-aluminium body is marred by a plastic hinge, but it lacks metallic feel.
- The venting is placed between the display hinge, which is successfully hidden and is out of sight. It serves its purpose well, keeping the design clean, and the overall temperature on the keyboard bay, down.
- Featuring a 15.6-inch screen and is a little heavy.
- System works well if you are using the laptop on a table. gaming on a bed and rug can also choke the airflow.
The display of this notebook is glitch free. It has an amazing viewing angel, good display quality, amazing color gamut scheme.
- 6 inch display with matte finished panel on top.
- Viewing angles are very good.
- Display is quite bright and has very good colour saturation.
- Can tweak the display using ROG gaming app. It has three pre-set — normal, eye care and vivid — but you can manually override the colour temperature to your liking.
- GTX960M is quite powerful and 1080p display would have been enough.
Keyboard And Touchpad :
Overall, the keyboard experience was quite good. The touchpad is placed really well and wide enough to make you feel comfortable (It depends on your comfort zone). What I feel it should improve is the spacing of the arrow keys. The arrow keys are close, that while playing games we tend to press the wrong arrow key.
- Red backlights for the touchpad and keyboard.
- The touchpad is large and comfortable to use.
- Using it to scroll and swipe is comfortable and the response was always spot on.
- Background highlights for WASD keys specially for gamers.
- Need slightly more spacing for the arrow keys because the left arrow key ends up under the 1 key on the numpad.
- The buttons themselves were fine.
Talking about the performance the notebook is surprising. The 6th Generation Core i 7 processor work so fine that it is able to manage multiple heavy tasks in low temperature. The data-transfer speed is awesome and thanks to the 512GB PCIe SSD. I found a small issue on the batter side. The battery last for 4 to 5 hours, which is quite a disappointment.
- The Core i7 and the NVIDIA GTX960M combo can handle almost all titles at playable framerates, with less demanding games such as Dota2 and Dying Light, going even beyond that.
- 16GB of RAM, which makes video editing less time consuming as well.
- The Core i7 6700HQ processor is able to handle all tasks with equal ease and even at high loads, remains under permissible temperatures.
- 512GB PCIe x4-based NVMe drive is extremely fast while copying data.
- On the audio front, the two stereo speakers are audible if you’re in a very silent room, but for most other places you’ll need headphones.
- Battery life for this laptop is under 4 hours if you are playing normal games and it may extends to 6 hours if you are doing browsing and light gaming.
The ASUS ROG G501V is still one of the best portable gaming laptops in the market, with the right balance of work and play. So, if you are looking for a very portable and powerful gaming machine at the mid-range segment, then the ROG G501VW is one of the best option in the market.